Sunday, April 26, 2009

Chicken Tangine and so healthy too!


So I'm on a total health kick a well more than normal a since beach season is coming up so I've been looking for recipes that are filling, but light on the fat/kcals. I was going through www.FitnessMagazine.com and I found a recipe for Chicken Tangine. With only 405 kcals, 10 g fat, 49 g carbohydrates, and 32 g protein, the meal was definitely tummy delight. Now I did make some alterations to the dish. I didn't have any chopped cooked chicken on hand, and I was not about to start cooking chicken so I boiled up chicken tenders and then chopped it up. I didn't have olives, so I took a healthier route and substituted it with edamame. And instead of diced canned tomatoes, I used fresh grape tomatoes. I totally loved this dish and I hope to all the ladies out there getting bikini ready (and the guys who want to show some skin) y'all definitely need to try it out.

So here's the ACTUAL recipe. Go ahead and make your own modifications to suit your taste buds.
Chicken Tangine from www.FitnessMagazine.com
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pitted kalamata olives
1/3 cup raisins
10 ounces cooked chicken breast, diced (2 cups)
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
DIRECTIONS
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger, cumin and cinnamon; cook, stirring frequently, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, broth, peas, olives and raisins; simmer 7 to 8 minutes. Add the chicken and chickpeas; cook 3 to 4 minutes, until chicken is heated through.

No comments: