Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Pumpkins- good for Jack O' Lanterns and Tofu Sandwiches?

Mais oui! So I decided because Halloween is coming up I wanted to cook something "autumn-y" this week and what denotes fall and Halloween better than a pumpkin? So I found this basic pumpkin bread recipe off Vegcooking.com and and threw in some toasted pumpkin seeds (from the pumpkin I carved) into the batter. Et voila, pain de citrouille! So, now the tofu? Well, so maybe for those that didn't read the previous posts, I've kinda stopped eating meat. We don't know how long it will last as I have been having dreams of goat, but for now I'm trying to be as creative with tofu as I can.

Ok, so I cut the loaf into 8 slices. I took one slice of pumpkin bread, spread a VERY thin layer of cream cheese to act as a glue then placed alfalfa sprouts on top. On top of the sprouts I layered tofu (extra firm) and chives. With a side of oven roasted veggies, its a great vegetarian dinner. Even if you're a meat eater I think you should definitely try it out (tofu won't kill you, I promise!).

Pumpkin Bread Recipe from VegCooking.com
      1/2 cups flour
      1/2 tsp. salt
      1 cup sugar
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 cup pumpkin purée
      1/2 cup vegetable oil
      Egg replacer equivalent to 2 eggs
      1/4 cup water
      1/4 tsp. nutmeg
      1 tsp. cinnamon
      1/4 tsp. allspice
      1/4 tsp. cloves

    • Preheat the oven to 350°F.
    • Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.
    • In a separate bowl, combine the pumpkin, oil, egg replacer, water, and spices.
    • Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
    • Pour into a greased 9- x 5- x 3-inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove from the pan and let cool on a rack.
    • Keep wrapped in the refrigerator.

    Makes 8 servings

No comments: