Thursday, January 7, 2010

Homemade Bean Burgers


So my friend J came over last weekend and we decided to have dinner @ Ruby Tuesday's as I had one of those "Buy One Get One Free" coupons. Well, its not much of a restaurant if you're vegetarian. The ONLY vegetarian meal- besides the lame salad bar- is the Veggie Mini Combo, which is two veggie sliders with fries and a salad bar. The burgers, not that bad, made of rice and beans, but nothing special. There really wasn't much going on in terms of flavour, and the burgers didn't hold well. So that's when I decided that I was going to try my hand at the bean burger. I looked up some recipes and I found this pretty awesome one on Whole Foods' website. I decided to make a few changes to the recipe because I really didn't feel like going to the store and planned on using what I had @ home.

Homemade Bean Burger
Ingredients:
  • 1 can of mixed beans
  • 1 cup of rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup of apple sauce
  • 1/2 a chopped onion
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • sea salt, black pepper, thyme, oregano
  • 1 cup shredded carrots
  • lettuce and tomato
  • Joseph's whole wheat flax pita

So I took all the ingredients, except for the tomato, lettuce and bread, and mixed them well with my hands. Add as much seasoning to your taste I prefer to use fresh herbs, but dry is just as good. Remember though, dry herbs are more pungent. Mix the ingredients well and form 5-6 patties (just depends on how big you make them). Heat olive oil on a pan at med-high heat. Once heated lay the patties on the pan and cook until browned then flip and cook the other side.
Warm the pita then cut in half. Spread a little Nayonaise or Veganaise on the pita with whatever else you like. I like grainy, spicy mustard. Then place lettuce and tomato on one pita, then a bean burger, then top with the pita.
I roasted some broccoli and asparagus and served it as a side (because I'm not into french fries much).
Bone appetit!

No comments: