Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tropical Oatmeal Brownie Cookies

So I'm off to visit some people in Phoenix tomorrow and I wanted to take them a thank you gift. I could buy something local like pralines, but I think the best gifts are homemade (when giving food. Fellas, never give your girl something homemade when you can get her diamonds!). So I decided to make some oatmeal cookies (because I am craving oatmeal for some reason), but I wanted to make them different. How? How can I make them different? Well. I scrambled through my cupboards and pulled out everything I could find and see how I could add them into a cookie. Well here's what I cam up with.

Tropical Oatmeal Brownie Cookies
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup oat flour
1 cup old fashion oats
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried chopped tropical fruit
1/2 cup coconut
1/3 cup Hershey Dark Chocolate cocoa powder
1/2 cup soy milk
Preheat the oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper and lightly grease it. 
In a mixer, beat the eggs white until they peak then add the agave and vanilla. Continue to beat for a few more seconds to make sure the ingredients are well mixed.
In a separate bowl add flour, oats, cocoa, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Stir well then slowly fold in the egg white mixture. Add the dried fruits and coconut and stir well. Slowly add the milk- I add the milk last because maybe 1/2 cup can be too much. It just depends on your batter. You want it to be moist, but not runny. Once everything has been incorporated, grease your hands slightly and make balls out of the batter (I get a dozen cookies out of this recipe). Place the cookies on the cookie sheet leaving about an inch between each cookie and bake for 10 minutes.


Why did I use oat flour? Well, certain people that will be enjoying these yummies has a wheat allergy. You can totally use white flour or brown (when using whole wheat flour remember to do half white. This is because whole wheat flour can have a bitter taste).

No comments: