Monday, January 18, 2010

Tofu and Hummus Sandwich


First of all, I apologize for the blurriness of the picture. After today I'll start using my camera instead of my iPhone to take the pictures (turns out when you blow up iPhone pics they get fuzzy a bit).
So I went to Brighter Day Foods last week and had this tofu tahini sandwich and I thought, "self, maybe I can re-create this somewhat". Well, I could easily have bought all the ingredients, but for some reason tahini is like 8$ a bottle, whereas hummous is 2.99$. And as for the bread, well I decided to get a little creative. I decided, instead of making a sandwich on bread, why not put it on a scone? I think its because every time I turned on the Food Network everyone was making scones. So here's the scone recipe I used:

Dried Fruit Scones
Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1.5 T ground flaxseed
1/2 T baking powder
1/4 t salt
2/5 T margarine
1/4 cup soy milk and 1 T
1/4 cup chopped dried fruit
1/3 cup agave nectar
1 egg white


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I mixed all the dry ingredients in the food processor except for the dried fruit. Then add the margarine and pulse the food processor to mix well. Add the dried fruit and pulse. In a separate bowl mix 1/4 cup milk with aganve nectar and egg white. While the food processor is on, slowly add the liquid via the feed tube on your machine. Flour your surface well (and your hands) and roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness. I used a drinking glass to cut out rounds in the dough (so six scones total). Place the scones on a greased sheet and brush them with the left over milk. Bake for 20-25 minutes.

When the scones are cooled take one, slice in half and spread some Nayonaise on one side and hummous on the other. Add some sprouts, tomatoes and bell pepper. For the tofu I drained the water and added some tamari, parmesan, salt and pepper, chili flakes, and cumin. I took 1/4 cup of the tofu mix and put it over the veggies then topped the whole sandwich with the other half of the scone.

No comments: