Saturday, January 9, 2010

Mom's Granola- Courtesy of Alicia Silverstone's mom


So I wasn't planning on making granola, but I was rummaging through the pages of Alicia Silverstone's "The Kind Life" and I came across a granola recipe that her mother made for her when she was a child. Well, since its after to make a batch of granola one time and eat it throughout the week rather than making oatmeal on a daily basis, I decided to give it a try. I made a few small changes which I've underlined just because I used what was available in my kitchen.
Hope you enjoy!
Mom's Granola
Ingredients:
  • 6 cups quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup maple sugar (I used 1/4 dark brown sugar)
  • 3/4 wheat germ (I added 2 tbsp of ground flaxseed as well)
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup sesame seeds (I used pumpkin seeds)
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup safflower oil (I used 4 tbsp Earth Balance)
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
So spread the oats on a sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Then remove the oats and mix them with the other ingredients in a large bowl. Spread the mixture evenly divided between two sheet pans and bake for 10 minutes, stirring at 5 minute mark. Let the granola cool and then break and store in an air tight container. My version a half cup serving is 204 kcals 29 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams fat and 4 grams protein.

No comments: