Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Mac & Cheese - Vegan Style

Ok so I was looking @ Alicia Silverstone's site The Kind Life, and she posted an entry challenging people to come up with their own vegan mac & cheese recipe after she posted one that she really enjoyed. Me, not one to back down from a cooking challenge (I totally should be on Iron Chef) decided to give it a go. So this is my version of macaroni and cheese.
Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole wheat elbow pasta
dash of salt
black pepper
3-4 dashes of tamari
1 oz vegan mozzarella
1/4 cup soy milk
chili flakes
dried thyme and cilantro
Boil pasta is water. Once cooked, drain and put pasta back in pot with milk. Add the rest of the ingredients (except the dried herbs) as much as suited to your palate. Once the milk has reduced and the mac & cheese is at the thickness you desire add the herbs. Plate the pasta in the bowl. I just bakes some broccoli florets in the oven with a lil' olive oil, salt and pepper and placed them around the mac & cheese.

So I think it turned out pretty well. Yes, I am the only one who ate it, but I liked it and I'm not one to eat nasty food, even if it comes from my kitchen.

No comments: